Celebrating 40+ years of service to the Metro Atlanta Community

  Contact : 404-373-2727 | 24 hours a day 7 days a week

If you have any questions that are not answered below, please feel free to contact us via phone (404-373-2727) or email via our Contact Page.

Is Home Health and Home Care the same thing?

No. home health refers to skilled care that is ordered by a physician and paid for by Medicare, Medicaid or third party commercial payers. Home health is short term in duration meaning usually 4-6 weeks of 2-3 visits per week ,carried out by RN’s, Physical, Occupational or Speech Therapists. Home Care refers to private duty care focused on helping individuals remain independent in their homes or communities by providing nursing assistants for hourly shifts assisting with activities of daily living (ADL’s). This includes areas like bathing, grooming, toileting, ambulation, laundry, meal preparation, transportation, light housekeeping and other activities associated with remaining independent in your home.

Is your agency licensed and insured?

Personal Care, Inc., is licensed by the state of Georgia’s Department of Community Health. Personal Care is fully insured for liability and worker’s compensation.

Are your caregivers bonded?

We do not use contract employees or 1099 staff. Our employees have criminal background checks (bonding assurance), have liability insurance, and worker’s compensation insurance. Bonding is a check of criminal record, while the insurance protects against liability in the event of accident or verified theft.

Why shouldn’t I just hire a private caregiver myself, it appears to be less expensive?

If you hire a caregiver privately you are taking on responsibilities that you often did not intend. There are state, federal and individual liabilities that come into play. As your employee, you must deduct federal, state, Medicare, unemployment and worker’s compensation from their compensation. Once you terminate their services, they can file unemployment. There is also liability associated with possible injury. Does your private caregiver have insurance and are they bonded? When you hire a private caregiver you need to be sure they are free of TB, have had a national criminal background check, are licensed and have CPR training. These responsibilities are related to the legal aspects of hiring someone but there is another area of responsibility around coverage when they call out sick or want time off. Personal Care, Inc. manages all of these aspects of having a private caregiver and enables you to have the safest, most cost effective, highest quality caregivers in your home.

When should I contact the Registered Nurse?

Your Clinical Care Coordinator (RN) is responsible for overseeing the care plan of the client. They will provide expertise and oversight on all clinical aspects of the client’s care. Personal Care requests that if you have a question concerning the care being delivered to yourself or your loved one, that you first call our office at 404-373-2727 and speak to someone there regarding your question or concern. If it is a matter that should be addressed directly by the RN, we will facilitate that communication.

Do you work with patients who are on Hospice?

Yes, it is not uncommon that a family caring for their loved one on hospice needs additional support in the home. The hospice provider is primarily responsible for all clinical aspects of care and even will provide social work and chaplain support if needed. Your Personal Care caregiver would typically be needed to assist the family and patient with activities of daily living like bathing, toileting, ambulation, light meal preparation or housekeeping tasks.

If the office is closed and I need to talk to someone can I still call?

Between the hours of 4:30 pm-8:00 am and during the weekends we have an on-call coordinator who you can speak with by calling 404-373-2727 if you have an immediate need. Examples of when to call after hours would be: medical emergencies, client needs caregiver to be routed to hospital or different location, confirmation of services requested, or complaints or concerns that need to be handled expeditiously.

Will I be able to have consistent caregivers for my care?

Personal Care believes that a consistent and reassuring environment is important for anyone who is temporarily or permanently needing help to remain independent. We have discovered that using multiple well-trained and educated caregivers provides a variety of experiences that are beneficial for our clients. To the extent possible, we strive for a regular team of caregivers to rotate shifts, ensuring your loved one won’t be disappointed by unexpected change. If clients express a preference for a specific caregiver, we will attempt to schedule that person as frequently as possible. If you request a specific caregiver to work more than 40 hours per week you will be billed overtime for all hours over 40.

Do I have to sign a contract for care?

Personal Care does not require an up front retainer or a contract. The only paperwork that is required by state regulation is a Service Agreement that can be cancelled with 24 hour notice at any time.

Who pays the transportation costs when my caregiver takes me on errands?

The caregiver can take you out to appointments or to run errands or they may run errands on your behalf. The caregiver may transport a client in the client’s vehicle or accompany them in an UBER. The client would be responsible for paying the UBER fee if the client is being transported and being accompanied by the caregiver. If the caregiver is running errands on behalf of the client, the caregiver may utilize their own vehicle, however, the client would be responsible for paying $.54 per mile for those errands run on their behalf.

Do your caregivers provide pet care?

If you need care for your pet please contact the Staffing Office. Pet Care is not part of our employee’s job description, however, we will make every attempt to make arrangements with your caregivers on an individual basis if pet care is needed.

Who is responsible for providing the food the caregiver will eat while on duty?

We ask our employees to pack their own meals and snacks. They understand that they will not have a break or opportunity to leave and purchase food or snacks during their shift. The exception to this is when you have a “live in” caregiver. The client/family is responsible for providing food for a live in caregiver.

If I really like my caregiver, can I ask her/him to work additional time for me?

All requests for additions or changes in a caregiver’s schedule must go through the staffing office. This helps us to ensure they are paid correctly and that your invoices reflect actual hours worked. To speak with a staffing professional, call 404-373-2727 during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday).

Who is responsible for supplies associated with my care?

You are responsible financially for any supplies that may be associated with your care. There may be instances where Personal Care can provide or pick up needed supplies, however, the expense for these items remains the client’s responsibility.

If we do not like our caregiver, what do we do?

Not every caregiver will be a perfect fit. If you have concerns about your caregiver, call the staffing office during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday) at 404-373-2727.

If I have a question about my bill, what do I do?

To discuss questions or concerns about your bill, call the office during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday) at 404-373-2727 and request to speak with the billing manager.

Can your caregivers administer medications?

In accordance with the regulations for the State of Georgia, Certified Nursing Assistants may assist in the administration of medications as long as the medications are pre-measured and require no alteration of dosing based on clinical judgment. Our licensed professionals (RN’s) are able to medically manage an individual’s medications along with administrative oversight.

How do I cancel a shift or terminate the care I am receiving?

To cancel a shift or to terminate care completely, call the staffing office during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday) at 404-373-2727 providing at least 24 hours advance notice of the time that the shift or care is being cancelled.

Does insurance pay for this service?

There are long term care insurance policies that pay for private duty home care. Medicare, Medicaid and traditional third party insurance does not cover private duty home care services. The VA also has some benefits available for private duty care under specific circumstances.

If I need to make changes to my schedule who do I contact?

To make schedule changes you need to call the staffing office during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday) at 404-373-2727. Advanced notice of changes is needed and appreciated.